Merlin Moncure wrote:
On 7/10/06, Florian G. Pflug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This methods seems to work, but it is neither particularly fool-proof nor
administrator friendly. It's not possible e.g. to reboot the slave without postgres abortint the recovery, and therefor processing all wals generated since the last
backup all over again.

Monitoring this system is hard too, since there is no easy way to detect errors
while restoring a particular wal.

what I would really like to see is to have the postmaster start up in
a special read only mode where it could auto-restore wal files placed
there by an external process but not generate any of its own.  This
would be a step towards a pitr based simple replication method.

I didn't dare to ask for being able to actually _access_ a wal-shipping
based slaved (in read only mode) - from how I interpret the code, it's
a _long_ way to get that working. So I figured a stand-alone executable
that just recovers _one_ archived wal would at least remove that administrative
burden that my current solution brings. And it would be easy to monitor
the slave - much easier than with any automatic pickup of wals.

greetings, Florian Pflug

              http://archives.postgresql.org