Albe Laurenz wrote:
Tim Allen wrote:
Patch included to implement xlog switching, using an xlog record
"processing instruction" and forcibly moving xlog pointers.

1. Happens automatically on pg_stop_backup()

Oh - so it will not be possible to do an online backup
_without_ forcing a WAL switch any more?
Well, previously, you would have always had to simulate a wal switch, by working out which is the current wal file and copying that. Otherwise your online backup wouldn't be complete.

What Simon is describing sounds like a big step forward from that situation. It should let me delete half the code in my pitr backup/failover scripts. Definitely a Good Thing.

Certainly a Good Thing, and it should be on by default.

But couldn't there be situations where you'd like to do an
online backup without a WAL switch? To avoid generating an
archive WAL every day on a database with few changes, e.g.?

But the online backup would be impossible to restore, if you don't
have enough wal archived to recover past the point where you called
pg_stop_backup().

So, doing a wal switch when pg_stop_backup() is called greatly reduces the risk of a user error that leads to broken backups.

greetings, Florian Pflug

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster