NikhilS wrote:
Hi,

"bgwriter doing aysncronous I/O for the dirty buffers that it is supposed to sync"
Another decent use-case?

Regards,
Nikhils

On 10/15/06, *Luke Lonergan* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Martijn,

    On 10/15/06 10:56 AM, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@svana.org
    <mailto:kleptog@svana.org>> wrote:

     > Have enough systems actually got to the point of actually supporting
     > async I/O that it's worth implementing?

    I think there are enough high end applications / systems that need it at
    this point.

    The killer use-case we've identified is for the scattered I/O
    associated
    with index + heap scans in Postgres.  If we can issue ~5-15 I/Os in
    advance
    when the TIDs are widely separated it has the potential to increase
    the I/O
    speed by the number of disks in the tablespace being scanned.  At this
    point, that pattern will only use one disk.

Is it worth considering using readv(2) instead?

Cheers

Mark