though that we still have the more odd grammar of actually using Tsearch
to query. Although I don't really have a better suggestion without
adding some ungodly obscure operator.

IMHO, best possible solution is 'WHERE table.text_field @ text'.
Operator @ internally makes equivalent of 'to_tsvector(table.text_field) @@ plainto_tsquery(text)', it's also possible to add GIN/GIST opclasses to speedup search queries. Performance of making headline in this case will be decreased insignificant, but ranking time will be disastrous. Because of reparsing of whole found texts. GIST performance may be decreased too - GIST indexing of tsvector is lossy.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend