Joshua D. Drake wrote:
He didn't say *which* dev cycle. He is just enthusiastic and the reality
is this project is about 2 years overdue to run screaming from the
burning building that is CVS.

Does that mean we should change? Only if the people doing development
feel a need to change. However, there is a distinct feeling of *OMG
CHANGE RUN RUN* whenever it comes to anything infrastructure (and
frankly some parts of code) in this project.

It is certainly valid that, if it ain't broke don't fix it. CVS is not
broke for us, it is however barely maintained. That in itself is enough
to consider moving off.

The fact that SVN *is* a CVS replacement and does not change most of the
workflow of existing developers is an additional strong argument to use it.

Joshua,

In my case at least you are 180 degrees wrong. The reason I want to wait is that I don't want the replacement to be svn. Why go throught the pain of adjustment just to be in more or less the same place?

That's why I encouraged you to try setting up some mirrors to other systems, notably Mercurial which looks to very promising. (It's written in Python, and has a Trac plugin - it should appeal to you strongly).

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org