Richard Huxton wrote:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Actually, I think we could teach the PLs to do it - just not transparently, so we'd need to mark which functions used the new protocol. Such functions would get a state object as an implied first argument, so in plperl it might work like this (for a generate_series-like function):

To support this I think we'd need to do something like:

 create function mygs(int, int)
   returns setof int
   language plperl
   with srfstate

Is this not what we do with aggregate functions at present?

Yes, more or less. That's what made me think of it.

OTOH, before we rush out and do it someone needs to show that it's a net win. I agree with Tom that making tuplestore faster would probably be a much better investment of time.

cheers

andrew