On Sat, 12 May 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

One thing that doesn't seemed to be being looked at it is the cost of logging.

If any of this executed at something like the query level, sure, that would be real important. The majority of the logging I suggested here is of things that happen at checkpoint time. The presumption is that the overhead of that is considerably greater than writing a log line or even five.

The least intensive event I would like to be loggable is when a new WAL segment is created and cleared, which is again a pretty small bit of log compared to the 16MB write. I wouldn't mind seeing that exposed under pg_stats instead, just had more interesting things to statify first.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD