Richard Huxton wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
The problem is that the new tuple version is checked only against the condition in the update rule, id=OLD.id, but not the condition in the original update-claus, dt='a'.

Yeah, that's confusing :(.

Bit more than just normal rule confusion I'd say. Try the following two statements in parallel (assuming you've just run the previous):

UPDATE test SET dt='c';
UPDATE test SET dt='x' FROM test t2 WHERE test.id=t2.id AND t2.dt='b';

This isn't a problem with the view mechanism - it's a problem with re-checking clauses involving subqueries or joins I'd guess.

I don't understand the PostgreSQL specific *FROM* clause correctly.
Currently the relations in the *FROM* clause seem to be read only
and UPDATE operations seem to acquire no tuple level lock on them.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

              http://archives.postgresql.org