Hello Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:
I think you'd be nuts to bet your data on the binary representations
really being cross-platform compatible.

Can you elaborate on this? AFAICT the send/recv functions use network byte ordering. What are the other problems between different architectures?

There might be some excuse for
doing this within a single architecture, but I can't get very excited
about it ...

Is the textual representation (i.e. OidOutputFunctionCall) more cross platform compatible?

Gregory Stark wrote:
> Well they're not very useful for their intended purpose of
> client-server communication if they're not.

Agreed. Up until now, I'd have considered it a bug, if a send/recv on different platforms would not lead to the very same result.

Regards

Markus