I wrote:
> Stephen Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> I wonder if the OP was unhappy because he created a role w/ a pw and
>> then couldn't figure out why the user couldn't log in?

> Hm, maybe.  In that case just not filtering the entry out of the flat
> file would be good enough.

I've confirmed the confusing behavior in CVS HEAD.  With password auth
selected in pg_hba.conf:

postgres=# create user foo nologin;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# \c - foo
Password for user "foo":
FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "foo"
Previous connection kept
postgres=# alter user foo password 'foo';
ALTER ROLE
postgres=# \c - foo
Password for user "foo": << correct password entered here
FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "foo"
Previous connection kept

With the attached patch to not drop nologin roles from the flat password
file, it acts more sanely:

postgres=# create user foo nologin;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# \c - foo
Password for user "foo":
FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "foo"
Previous connection kept
postgres=# alter user foo password 'foo';
ALTER ROLE
postgres=# \c - foo
Password for user "foo": << correct password entered here
FATAL:  role "foo" is not permitted to log in
Previous connection kept

Should we just do this, or is it worth working harder?

                        regards, tom lane

*** src/backend/utils/init/flatfiles.c.orig     Wed Aug  1 18:45:08 2007
--- src/backend/utils/init/flatfiles.c  Sun Oct 14 17:14:27 2007
***************
*** 298,304 ****
   *
   * The format for the flat auth file is
   *            "rolename" "password" "validuntil" "memberof" "memberof" ...
-  * Only roles that are marked rolcanlogin are entered into the auth file.
   * Each role's line lists all the roles (groups) of which it is directly
   * or indirectly a member, except for itself.
   *
--- 298,303 ----
***************
*** 312,318 ****
  typedef struct
  {
        Oid                     roleid;
-       bool            rolcanlogin;
        char       *rolname;
        char       *rolpassword;
        char       *rolvaliduntil;
--- 311,316 ----
***************
*** 407,414 ****
                                                tempname)));

        /*
!        * Read pg_authid and fill temporary data structures.  Note we must read
!        * all roles, even those without rolcanlogin.
         */
        totalblocks = RelationGetNumberOfBlocks(rel_authid);
        totalblocks = totalblocks ? totalblocks : 1;
--- 405,411 ----
                                                tempname)));

        /*
!        * Read pg_authid and fill temporary data structures.
         */
        totalblocks = RelationGetNumberOfBlocks(rel_authid);
        totalblocks = totalblocks ? totalblocks : 1;
***************
*** 433,439 ****
                }

                auth_info[curr_role].roleid = HeapTupleGetOid(tuple);
-               auth_info[curr_role].rolcanlogin = aform->rolcanlogin;
                auth_info[curr_role].rolname = pstrdup(NameStr(aform->rolname));
                auth_info[curr_role].member_of = NIL;

--- 430,435 ----
***************
*** 565,574 ****
                        List       *roles_names_list = NIL;
                        ListCell   *mem;

-                       /* We can skip this for non-login roles */
-                       if (!auth_info[curr_role].rolcanlogin)
-                               continue;
-
                        /*
                         * This search algorithm is the same as in
is_member_of_role; we
                         * are just working with a different input data
structure.
--- 561,566 ----
***************
*** 642,650 ****
        for (curr_role = 0; curr_role < total_roles; curr_role++)
        {
                auth_entry *arole = &auth_info[curr_role];
-
-               if (arole->rolcanlogin)
-               {
                        ListCell   *mem;