What caught my attention initially was the 300+/sec insert performance.
On 8.0/NTFS/fsync=on, I can't break 100/sec on a 10k rpm ATA disk.  My
hardware seems to be more or less in the same league as psql's, so I was
naturally curious if this was a NT/Unix issue, a 7.4/8.0 issue, or a
combination of both.

There is also the fact that NTFS is a very slow filesystem, and Linux is a lot better than Windows for everything disk, caching and IO related. Try to copy some files in NTFS and in ReiserFS...