On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 06:43:50PM +0200, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
patch - basically, I think the documentation under estimates (or
sometimes misses) the benefit of VACUUM FULL for scans, and the
needs of VACUUM FULL if the routine VACUUM hasn't been done
properly since the database was put in production.

It's also possible to overestimate the benefit of vacuum full, leading to people vacuum full'ing almost constantly, then complaining about performance due to the associated overhead. I think there have been more people on this list whose performance problems were caused by unnecessary full vacs than by those whose performance problems were caused by insufficient full vacs.

Mike Stone