On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, andrew klassen wrote:
Basically, I have a somewhat constant rate of inserts/updates that go into a work queue and then get passed to postgres.

The cpu load is not that high, i.e. plenty of idle cpu. I am running an older
version of freebsdĀ and the iostat output is not very detailed.

If you're running a "work queue" architecture, that probably means you only have one thread doing all the updates/inserts? It might be worth going multi-threaded, and issuing inserts and updates through more than one connection. Postgres is designed pretty well to scale performance by the number of simultaneous connections.

Matthew

--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who its friends are.                 -- Kyle Hearn