Dave Crooke wrote:
The fact that the delays are clustered at (3 + 0.2 n) seconds, rather than a distributed range, strongly indicates a timeout and not (directly) a resource issue.

3 seconds is too fast for a timeout on almost any DNS operation, unless it has been modified, so I'd suspect it's the TCP layer, e.g. perhaps the SYN packet goes awol and it has to retry.

I'd second the vote for investigation with a packet sniffing tool (Wireshark, tcpdump, etc)

If you have a PC (Windows), pingplotter is a remarkable and simple tool to use
that quickly identifies problems, and gives results that are convincing when
you show them to your network admin.  Wireshark and tcpdump have a pretty steep
learning curve and are overkill if your problem is simple.

Craig