Hi Tom,

> > I'm looking for a hint how array access performs in PostgreSQL in
> > respect to performance. Normally I would expect access of a
> > 1-dimensional Array at slot i (array[i]) to perform in constant time
> > (random access).
>
> > Is this also true for postgres' arrays?
>
> Only if the element type is fixed-length (no strings for instance) and
> the array does not contain, and never has contained, any nulls.
> Otherwise a scan through all the previous elements is required to find
> a particular element.

We're using bigint elements here and don't have nulls, so this should be fine.

> By and large, if you're thinking of using arrays large enough to make
> this an interesting question, I would say stop right there and
> redesign
> your database schema. You're not thinking relationally, and it's gonna
> cost ya.

In general, I agree. We're having a nice relational database but are facing
some perfomance issues. My approach is to build a materialized view which
exploits the array feature and heavily relies on constant time access on arrays.

Thank you!

Regards,
Andreas