I'm working on setting up a large database (or at least what I consider to
be a large one with several tables having 10-20 million records inserted
per day), and I've been using pgbench to verify that the hardware and
database are configured in an optimal manner.

When I run pgbench in "SELECT only" after doing "-i -s 2000" I get what
appears to be good performance (60k-70k tps) but if I initialize a new
database with "-i -s 4000" the tps drops to 4k-7k. Is this order of
magnitude drop expected? Or is there something wrong with my hardware or
database configuration that is causing this issue?

The one option that I've been considering is partitioning and I've been
asking about it here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAcYxUcb0NFfMDsMOCL5scNRrUL7=9hkxjz021jmqp0r7f5...@mail.gmail.com