On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Richard Ray wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Jeff Frost wrote:

So why are you avoiding "SELECT * FROM t1;" ?

I was affeared that if I brought my total ignorance to light I would be band from the list but here goes.
I work in UNIX/Linux environments.
It's my habit to record my scripts.
A simple example:

#!/bin/bash
CMD="psql -d test \"select * from t1\""
echo $CMD >> my_log
eval $CMD |
while read x; do
 do_something_with_x
done

In this example * expands to all files in the current working directory.
I was attempting to get around this by enumerating the table attributes.

Oh! Why didn't you just say that in the first place. You just need quotes. Try this:

psql -c 'select * from t1' test

or

psql -c "select * from t1" test

or

echo "select * from t1" | psql test

--
Jeff Frost, Owner       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Frost Consulting, LLC   http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq