Bart Degryse wrote:
Dear all,
I'm having a problem with transactions and exceptions and need your advice.
I want a function to do two things: - log something to a table (which is basically an insert)
- raise an exception under certain conditions
My problem is that when I raise the exception the insert is rolled back.
How can I work around that?

Either:
1. Not raising an exception, instead returning a status code to the application.

2. Using dblink / dbi-link to reconnect to the database, which means your logging will take place in its own transaction.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd