Phillip Smith wrote:
Whoops, I forgot the JOIN conditions! Fixed below

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, 27 July 2007 11:47
To: 'pgsql-sql@postgresql.org'
Subject: RE: [SQL] Join question

This might give you a starting point if I understand you correctly...

SELECT h.invoice_number,
         h.customer,
         l.item,
         l.amount
FROM    lines AS l
JOIN    headers AS h ON l.invoice_number = h.invoice_number
UNION
SELECT h.invoice_number,
         h.customer,
         s.item,
         s.amount
FROM    sundries AS s
JOIN    headers AS h ON s.invoice_number = h.invoice_number
ORDER BY invoice_number, item

Forgot all about union - I had two individual views, one for invoice+parts, one for invoice+sundries... didn't think of union to combine the two views together.

Perfect solution, you've done it for me again Phillip, thanks.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate