Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:31:03 +0000
From: Milan Oparnica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>
Subject: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)
[snip]
What could we gain by introducing a kind of global prepared statement area, is SIMPLICITY of DB DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE.

Here is our point of view:
[snip]
Now, instead of preparing statements on each connection request (and we use around 900 prepared statements), why couldn't we simply prepare these statements ONCE and keep them in some global storage for future everyday usage.

Hi,

What's wrong with using complex views, stored procedures, functions and maybe even custom data types to accomplish what you want here? It seems like you could build a lot of "prepared statements" using these tools, providing your application layer developers with a consistent set of interfaces to obtain data that are not tied to the data tables themselves. And allowing them to insert/update/manage tables via structured interfaces as well.

Am I missing something?

Best,

Steve