Davide Varvello wrote
> Hi Paul,
>  I resume this old thread because it's not clear to me which package
> download to make BCryptLinuxFFI work
>
> In an other thread you point to:
> MCHttpRepository
>         location: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Cryptography/Blowfish/main'
>         user: ''
>         password: ''
>
> but there is no BCryptLinuxFFI there.
> Can you help me please?
>
> Cheers
> Davide

Hi Davide,

You need to be on Linux and

On pharo or squeak
 - have a 32bit version of libxcrypt installed.
 - use this mcz

http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography/PasswordHashingFFI-PaulDeBruicker.16.mcz
           or

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Cryptography/Cryptography/main/PasswordHashingFFI-PaulDeBruicker.16.mcz
           (they're the same file)

On GemStone
 - have a 64bit version of libxcrypt installed
 - use this mcz
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Cryptography/PasswordHashingFFI-PaulDeBruicker.10.mcz

The Blowfish stuff is an implementation of the cipher
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowfish_%28cipher%29).  BCrypt uses blowfish
as its encryption mechanisim, calling it tens to hundreds of thousands of
times.

The PasswordHashingFFI package also includes support for accessing the
crypt(3) library so you can use SHA512 password hashing too if you like (or
other mechanisms it supports like DES, MD5, etc)

Hope this helps

Paul