Stef

That sounds very interesting. I dream of a virtual world environment such
as Second Life, highly dynamic and completely open source.

But currently I would like to do a simple video game, with toon like
graphic, using bullet for physics. I think that making an actual game
development pipeline would be very interesting.
I would not create a full level editor, modeling software because it takes
too much time, and there is Blender which is open source and very complete.

Some tasks required are as follow:
- An easy way to make bindings for C++ libraries. For this I am going to
start extending SWIG(http://www.swig.org/) so it can generate bindings for
Pharo NativeBoost.
- Bindings for the Bullet physics engine(http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/).
With the extensions for swig, this is trivial.
- An importer for COLLADA. COLLADA is a XML based asset exchange format,
with a wide support in different 3d model editors, such as Blender.
- For Linux, a new VM display module is required. The current that uses
just X11 suffers of severe tearing and flickering. I would like to make a
display module for the VM that uses SDL2, which is a cross platform library
that supports hardware accelerated graphics, or cross platform creation of
an OpenGL context.
- I think that garbage collection would require some determinism/time
constraint or write some guidelines to avoid triggering the gargbage
collector. When I'm testing the particles, I can see some noticeable pause,
that I attribute to the garbage collector.

Greetings,
Ronie Salgado