Le 02/04/2014 22:51, Pharo4Stef a écrit :

On 02 Apr 2014, at 13:31, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goub...@cea.fr> wrote:

Le 02/04/2014 08:12, Tudor Girba a écrit :
The language itself is less interesting for me, but what makes it stand
out is that it has a coherent and robust philosophy behind and
phenomenal goals to reach. In Pharo, we have the luxury of building on
top of coherent and robust philosophy (even if different from the
Wolfram one) and we should try as much as possible to keep our eyes on
phenomenal goals that seem unreachable.

I see two barriers in the current Pharo to be able to reach that:

- Lack of clear documentation of the underlying code management structure and facilities. It takes
ages to get into the gritty details of things like RPackage and the refactory framework,
documentation is very often limited to "this is the way Nautilus does it", and "no
worry about changing it, Nautilus developpers are the same guy" which ends up being very
painful for someone outside that core group.

I agree but who is writing doc beside me and sven?

Not me :(

Do you think that this is easy to write doc on something that you did not write.
For Rpackage this is not that complex and you do not want to document the part
that glue inside announcement and other.

Well, yes and no. Any exposure to RPackage and you understand that you have to know about the glue. Trust me on that one ;)

- GUI conservatism. The choice made in Pharo in the overall look is to be conservative
and business-like, and so blame the too-advanced, too-fancy Morphic (and at the same time
have Roassal pushing the enveloppe, but outside the normal toolkit :) which means someone
would find it probably hard to do Roassal-based development tools). Glamour, Spec and
GTToolkit are interesting to look at along that "conservatism" in GUI.

You cannot clean Morphic without removing experimental stuff.
Once we will have a better morphic then we can be more adventurous. You
probably did not spend enough time in morphic if
you do not think that I’m right. :) Now this is clear that Roassal is a bit
reinventing Morphic to some extend but this is like that.

Morphic itself is still (how many years since Self we are at now?) experimental.

Big chunks of what made Morphic what it is are gone from Pharo. Even Pharo by example requires loading extensions. And in normal, business GUI stuff, Morphic capabilities are underused and get in the way.

Now, there is Alain Plantec work. That will be interesting...

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list