The problem is that sometimes we overestimate how important "play well with
others" is.

In python we have the cpython vs jython / ironpython . Cpython is the
popular choice which is python implemented in C. Ironpython is a compiler
of python for .NET and jython a compiler for Java.

The advantage of using .NET and especially Java libraries out of the box is
obvious. Yet Jython and Ironpython are hardly popular , definitely less
popular than Pharo.

It seems that coders suffer on what I call "code narcissism syndrome" , it
goes like this

Jython : well I am python written in Java and I can use any Java library
you want out of the box and even C libraries like Cpython
coder : Wow cool
Cpython : yes but all my libraries are written in python do you really want
to mess with Java libraries ?
coder: hmm, eh, no not really

So my experience is that if you have something you really enjoy even though
it may lack features you would find on a bigger system, you will still
prefer to use that. Because there is a reason why you checked it out in the
first place, you were really unhappy with the big system.

So I am full supporter of the idea that pharo should make git integration,
as well CLI , and other tools easier for those that want to use such
external tools. But we should not worry too much about it.

Afterall people change or try new languages because they are not satisfied
with what they have already in their system. They want a fresh new approach
to things.

I was interested in pharo because python lacks a real python IDE. Most IDEs
that Python uses are IDEs that follow "work well with others" concept but
that concept sacrifices the advantages of having a closely integrated
system like Pharo has.