kilon alios wrote
> Watched it once more and now it clear that he presented Smalltalk in a
> very fair
> manner

Yes, it was very fair and a nice bridge between the Ruby and Smalltalk
communities i.e. not too elitist.

kilon alios wrote
> I also completely agree with his criticism on smalltalk of... not playing
> well with
> others

I think this has always been a red herring. How exactly does Ruby "play well
with others"? Wth does that mean?

If we're talking about e.g. native windows, Ruby has bindings to GUI
libraries because it has a community big enough that is interested-in-that
enough to write them. In fact IIRC, someone wrote GTK bindings for
Squeak/Pharo, but there was little user interest and they took their code
elsewhere. There's no difference in that regard.

Another barrier of course, is that binding to external UI libraries in a way
violates the turtles-all-the-way-down principle of Smalltalk and would only
be a kludge until you could replace them with an implementation that was
part of the live, uniform system. Although if not being satisfied with a
system that is complicated beyond human comprehension is "not playing well
with others", perhaps you should reconsider your friendships ha ha ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean