People introduced to amber is highly unlikely to be aware of Pharo but that
does not change the fact that if you as Amber tell this coder "hey I also
offer a very powerful IDE" instead of "hey I also offer a very basic IDE"
it will be obviously a big plus for him.

I just dont think diverting resources to creating an IDE for Amber is
optimal. Anymore than Pharo ignoring Amber and creating its own complex
solution to access  Javascript libraries would be optimal.

I think that Amber and Pharo should be merged, maybe not as code bases  or
not as projects or websites or whatever but as communities. The way I see
it both work towards the same goal, making the Smalltalk voice heard loud
and clear. I think a closer integration is for the benefit of both
communities. The communities are too small to afford to spread thin.

Inventing the future is all cool and great but this world runs on money ,
not on progress and innovation. In most cases money is a big obstacle to
progress.

"I love progress , I just dont like change" (sorry dont remember where I
got the quote from)

So I think it would be wiser to be practical and take advantage of what you
already have and take it one step further at a time.