The point I take home from the article is that every popular language became
popular for a reason. None of those reasons where good design or the presence
of libraries.

Javascript because it's the only language that runs in a browser.
Java and C# because they have corporate backings.
Ruby because of Ruby on Rails.

It's maybe an over-simplification of the real contributing factors (we forget
education and learning curve), but would JavaScript be as popular when there
would be more languages available in a web browser?

Johan