> Yet it worked like a charm because developers loved the fact that they had in
> their hand a huge monolithic platform that could satisfy their wildest dream
> as far as library support went through. And on top that platform was cross
> platform.

Sounds like Smalltalk :-)

Don't get me wrong: a language without libraries is like an OS without
applications, but the point is that most of the unpopular languages have
sufficient libraries. After doing Smalltalk for over 15 years, I still discover
things inside the libraries that come with a standard image.

And yes, some libraries will attract people: office libraries in .net, RoR in
Ruby, etc...

I think once sufficient libraries are present, an active community is more
important (in the absence of large company backing) and libraries are a
consequence.

But hey, we should probably go have a beer over this ;-)

Johan