As I started Smalltalk with Pharo 1.3, I may resonate with Dennis point of
view.

Simple in syntax but not easy indeed.

There are ways to do things and smart ways that require a while to sink in.

Basically, it turned my mind upside down and I realised that a lot of
things are easier to do in Smalltalk once you do it the Smalltalk way.

And I really love the minimalism of the syntax and the environment.

Heck, I chose to go with Pharo for my paying customers and it works fine.
This explaining that, I'd better have a working solution if I want to eat.
This helps with the learning. Not sure I would have persisted if it was not
the case though.

Phil