I am a bit offended by the generalisations in your remarks, Kilon. It sounds a
bit like there is no documentation at all.

There are several books, covering many of the high level aspects.

There is lots of documentation in the image, many class comments are pretty
good, as are many method comments - even quite a lot of implementation comments
can be found.

OK, there are some terrible parts as well, and some people seems to make a
sport out of _not_ writing any comments at all - please call them out
specifically, but don't generalise.

I have spent a large amount of time documenting all code that I published as
well as writing separate high level documentation and tutorials for most of it
as well as for Pharo in general. I know many others who did the same.