On 26/6/14 10:10, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
Hi,

as I read somewhere that Amber want to stay compatible
with Pharo
it is important.

(at least with the core classes) I wonder
how this compatibility is measured/enforced these days.
Difficult.

Are there tools to exchange code between the two?

I also wonder if what would be necessary to run Amber on
Java Nashorn (a JS engine that comes with the JDK 8).
Could serve as a horse to also run on JVM...
May be we should stop developing in our lovely language and jump in JS.
It would solve many problems and open a lot more.
But seriously after the Java wave....

Why I'm asking: I think one of our goals should be to
make Pharo more widely usable to not end up as an island.
We daily try to improve our system but this is not easy.

If Pharo and Amber stay compatible to a certain amount
Amber could open the door for Pharo to other target platforms
(browser, mobile devices, other language runtimes) as
JS is available nearly everywhere.
Running Pharo on JS VM would be interesting too.