I have tried to make something similar with Rubric example of Workspace. My
dream is a Super Workspace to replace all IDE tools inside pharo, system
browser, Monticello, inspector, debugger , versioner , etc inspired by
emacs and of course ipython.

I am still working on it from time to time, but its a low priority project
for now. I am sure other people have similar goals so I am also interested
in joining efforts.

Also I am interested in visual coding so I am flirting with Phratch and
wonder how Phratch would mix with my Super Workspace concept. There is
certainly a lot of potential here.