We had this kind of workbook 20 years ago in VW with mathematical formulae
and graphics (plot) embedded.
What we did was to avoid continous scrolling of the whole document, but
rather have the plan of the document on the left pane of the notebook (just
an indented tree like word navigation mode), and the text on the right pane
for only the currently selected chapter (in a way, it's a lot like the
source code browser). This way, no need to compose very large Text in
Smalltalk (I also doubt our editors really scale).
Then we could output a static view in PostScript or LaTeX.

The greatest limitation IMO was not really the UI, but the principle of the
Notebook itself: we soon needed to access the results of previous chunks of
code, and we implemented this with an environment (understand some global
variables).
>From software quality POV, working with such global vars is very
disappointing and does not really scale either.

The second limitation of the workbook is that, while it's very good for
small projects (like maybe we can have in school), it's not the right tool
for producing documents with a synthesis of the results, which remain the
main added value of humans, so which was what we were asked for.

However I'm still curious how far we can go with those notebooks, because
the idea is seducing. Maybe it was our own usage which was bad...