On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM, stepharo <steph...@free.fr> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> I'm sad about your decision and I think that it is a bit biaised against
> me.
> Your statements are your point of view and I will not argue with you.
>
> Now for the others I got a disagreement on the rename of ValueHolder into
> ReactiveVariable (see my reasons below)
> as referred here
>         - https://github.com/spec-framework/spec/issues/16
>         - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?13824

I let you judge.

This thread is also useful and Nice raises the legacy issue:
http://forum.world.st/COTDC-108-NewValueHolder-td4738066.html

> For me  the picture at the end of https://pharo.fogbugz.com/
> default.asp?13824 tells a lot on your state of mind and I do not think
> that this is a
> good state of mind to work in an open-source community.

Would there be a way to get a two-way apology/shake of hands by getting
carried too far on a minor concern and move on from there?
Feelings have been hurt. No one ever heals from misplaced pride and ego
issues. Life is short.

> I think that we can have disagreements with other people and we can
> discuss but it seems that it became difficult to discuss with you recently
> and this is sad. (Members of the rmod team still did not get why you left
> the team without saying bye to them).
>
> Here are my reasons:
>
>     - I do not want that people can say that innovation in Pharo is just
> by renaming existing concepts. The concept of ValueHolder is the basis of
> VisualWorks. Spec is
>     influenced by the application model of VisualWorks and valueHolder. So
> using this name is recognizing its influence. When people using VW will
> come to Pharo they
>     should not think that too and they should not get lost.
>
>      - Stephan Eggermont mentioned in addition that
>         - Reactive variable is a concept from reactive programming. For
> the record
>         - Value Holder is a pattern described by Bobby Woolf in 1994 in
> http://c2.com/ppr/vmodels.html and referred to in much of the pattern
> literature.
>
>      - The books of X. Briffault, Bernard Horan, Tim Howard, Ivan Tomek,
> plus all the tutorial and docs of VisualWorks are using ValueHolder.
> Probably more but I did not have     the time to check.
>
>      - I programmed since some of you in VW since 1998 and telling that
> the books we used are obsolete does not help because there are still
> accurate.
>
>      - Now if Spec would be an external library that can be loaded in
> Pharo, I would not care and you could use any name want. But Spec is part
> of Pharo and Spec is
>       based on my ideas too. So I would a bit of care to be taken.
>
> I imagine that you can understand my point. I really wish I would not have
> to write such mail. I'm immensely sad.

There is a powerful movement going on with all things "Reactive". (Meteor
comes to mind). Of course, ppl want to get these things. Especially in the
UI space like Spec.
Younger guns are of course drawn to it. It is hopeless to think that there
will be no tension there. And yes, we are a kind of fashion industry.

Isn't Pharo going to be innovative and taking in the new stuff ?
ValueHolder is a known thing. It is frankly not more sensical that
ReactiveVariable. Of course, now, we understand it. But when it first
started, it could have been a lot of other names. In Java, it is an
interface...
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/faces/component/ValueHolder.html
 Look at Seaside's DynamicVariables...  not that super clear when
encountered at first. Are they really what Lisp calls Dynamic Variables?

In 3.0 NewValueHolder is with this in the class comment:

/ ! \ IMPORTANT / ! \
NewValueHolder will soon be replaced by ReactiveVariable
Within Spec itself, NewValueHolder has been renamed to ReactiveVariable
(during the beta phase of Pharo 3).
Since Pharo 3 was already in beta, NewValueHolder has been kept untouched.
For new code (and all code in future versions of Pharo), use the following
two hook methods:
asReactiveVariable - use wherever you would have used asValueHolder, which
will soon be deprecated. For now, it returns a NewValueHolder. In the
future it will return a (polymorphic) ReactiveVariable
 selectionReactiveVariable - as above, returns a SelectionValueHolder for
now. This extension method allows the two different packages to coexist
without having direct references from the Spec model.

A variable that emits announcements when changed looks quite reactive
indeed.

Of course a couple of things are using the NewValueHolder (Roassal2Spec,
GT-Inspector)

But subclasses of NewValueHolder: CollectionValueHolder,
DictonaryValueHolder, IdentityNewValueHolder (yikes!), SelectionValueHolder

This is confusing.

At the same time, none of this kind of thing ever prevented progress. I
guess you can remember the dual hierarchies in previous version of Pharo...
Pharo itself came to life because we wanted progress. Now, we attract
people who want to do things differently. And then are surprised that they
want to do just that.
Who got named "Random Refactorers"? Remember that? And calling people names?

> Related links:
>     - https://github.com/spec-framework/spec/issues/16
>     - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?13824
>

> Yeah, the pic at the end is an ad hominem. There is a ton of such things.
http://coolhaus.de/art-of-controversy/
Too bad we ended up on http://coolhaus.de/art-of-controversy/erist38.htm so
fast.

On Spec itself, we got good stuff. Like docs. http://spec.st/
And getting this to go GPLv3 is going to hurt.
https://github.com/spec-framework/spec/blob/master/LICENSE-GPL3

MIT is a big plus for Pharo tech.

This is a bad precedent.

Phil