The Spec news page [1] explains the license change and anyone can easily guess
that it is caused
by Benjamins personal disagreements with Stef. No judgement on that from my
side as this
is a personal issue between the two and as I like most of us have only a few
infos on that from
the outside.

It is interesting that there is also a new Spec release [2] announced this week
although in his
last post [3] Benjamin stated "I am quiting the Pharo community, as well as the
Smalltalk community".

To me it looks like Benjamin want's to punish Stef - but it will affect the
community and the idea
WE ALL hardly work on ...
Sorry but this is a more childish like reaction from his side and not a good
way to solve disagreements.

I can only talk about this from an outside point of view but I think nobody in
our community
will profit from Benjamin reaction - it makes it harder for the whole Pharo
community to work
with Spec and in my opinion it will be not good for Spec framework or Benjamin
either.

>From what I see now my personal recommendation would be decide within the
>community if Spec
could be a base for the future of our UI and tool building and if so rename and
continue in a
forked way with the MIT licensed code within the Pharo image so it will not be
confused
with Benjamins version, license and page.

Looks like currently that this is the only way to continue with it and ensure
contributions
will stay single licensed/MIT licensed.

We can only change the future - not the past...

Thx
T.

[1] http://spec.st/license/gpl/mit/2014/08/15/Spec_change_license.html
[2] http://spec.st/news/#Spec%202.0.0%20release