Hi Esteban,

I'm not sure my answer will please you or stef, and maybe I shouldn't voice
it, staying being a "customer" instead of contributing "the way you want
it". Hard words, but yours are hard too.

I'd say simply that Pharo is successfull, fairly successfull for someone
like me. It allows me to engage in complex work, in what I do best and what
affords me to be paid and have the freedom to use Pharo. Some of those
things suppose that I maintain and extend fairly complex packages on top of
Pharo, and deal with permanent, multiple overlapping interruptions
(meeting, administrative work, travels, etc...). Pharo is great, it allows
me to build a significant activity on top of it.

Some of the consequences of that success? I'm looking at things that works
now, not in Pharo 5, 6, or 7. I'm a bit frightened by grandiose rewritting
attempts which will be usable in a version or 2, at best, and leave an
unsatisfying "now" situation. I'll carefully evaluate what new stuff is
integrated. New stuff I look to see if they are usable (libcgit
integration, TxText) and what I see is stuff that builds on unstable core
libs extensions (NativeBoost, Athens) on top of an already unstable version
(4.0), and I'm really not impressed by the software development process.

The end result is, when I see a bug, I'm already at least two versions
behind you guys... so there's nothing worth reporting. There is some
progress on the way things are being done (thanks Marcus for doing the
deprecation API backporting on 3.0) and not much on others (and I speak of
methodology, not of new features being added on).

If you have the feeling that I don't contribute the way I should or the way
you would like, step back and ask yourself if this is not my "unspoken" way
of me saying that I don't find a way to contribute, or that contributing
effectively is too costly.

And look! This is not a matter of resources, but maybe a matter of slowing
down a bit, so that the poor community members with limited resources like
me that are not full time on Pharo 4.0 development may catch up :) And
please, no more rejection of feedback, even negative. It just gives me the
feeling you are overstreched, and that Pharo has a problem setting its
goals.

Regards,

Thierry