Hi Ben,

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com> wrote:

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Indeed, you are right about noting that the situation will look different
>> in a couple of months from now. Please, let's discuss these problems again
>> in 2 months.
>>

> My point was not to delay discussion, but just not let it get you down and
> be tolerant...
> * For those sending criticism, of the system being in flux as in
> progresses.
> * For those receiving criticism, when its comes from those using the
> bleeding edge because of their faith in Pharo
> * For third parties looking on, be confident that it will come together
> for the release.

I am not asking for delaying the discussion about the tools. I am simply
saying that the situation will be much different in a couple of months
after we have a chance of taking the feedback into account (already quite
some changes were made and more are under way, like the menu). As a
consequence, we should evaluate the need of having them in parallel with
other tools at that time not now.

>  The classic tools are still around. Furthermore, in the Settings, you
>> have a Glamorous Toolkit category which allows you to switch the Inspector
>> and the Playground off.
>>

> How hard would it be to run some parts of GToolkit in parallel with
> existing tools, rather than on/off?  I'd rather it stare me in the face
> without boxing me in - to help me adapt in my own time. I tend to forget
> about things I need to change a setting for.

It's not hard at all, but I believe it would defeat the purpose of the
exercise at this point. First, I believe the problems being reported are
actually minor and we should not overreact. Bare in mind that people mostly
reacted to missing features, and not bugs (except for the messed up
positioning of the cursor during completion) which is quite encouraging
given the magnitude of the change.

Second, when working on the latest version you want to exercise the new,
not the old. The more options you allow to fallback to the old, the less
stress will be applied on the new. And especially given that we are a small
community, and that only a fraction of us actually works with the latest
version, it would be highly unproductive to not focus on the new.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com