Hi Richard,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Richard Sargent <
richard.sarg...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
> > I responded...
>
> I have to disagree with your recommendation. You say that you intend #= to
> mean "has the same effect as" rather than "is the same as".
>
> One of the best things about Smalltalk is how easily we can say what we
> mean. I think you would be better off creating a method named something
> like
> #hasSameEffectAs: to answer what you are presently using #= to do, and
> change #= to answer the, in my opinion, more sensible "is the same as" that
> we conventionally think of #= meaning.

But that's the point.  #= has to mean something and having it mean #==
isn't useful, so one has to choose some value-based semantic for
CompiledMethod>>#= and the one that's there is useful.  Defining what #=
means for some value type is far easier than defining what it might mean
for something as complex as a CompiledMethod.  The definition in
Squeak/Pharo has been useful to me in implementing a closure-based system,
so I'm unapologetic about the current definition.  It is a good one but it
doesn't preclude defining others.

$0.02 worth and worth everything you paid for it. :-)