>> Smalltalk organizations have focussed too much on /technical merit/, and
>> not
>> enough on PR and marketing.
>
> On making money too.

You're saying Smalltalk organizations are too focussed on making money? I've
heard that, too. It sounds very odd to me. I thought these organizations
were created for the love of the language. Am I too naive?

> We market Pharo as a new language because Pharo is cool and we do not have
> to carry with us the "old" aspects and fight against the museum syndrome.

Then you have failed. Virtually every mention of Pharo on the web is
directly linked to Smalltalk. In the public consciousness, there is little
or no distinction between Pharo and Smalltalk. Trying to force this
distinction, I believe, is a mistake; it's futile.

If Pharo is a new language disconnected from Smalltalk, then it loses
whatever cachet Smalltalk has. Smalltalk already has a ton of references on
the web; it just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Hence, Smalltalk Renaissance.

Moreover, we can fight the museum syndrome through branding and education.
Smalltalk is already a positive marque; it's renown for its influence in
language design, for example.

Pharo has to start from scratch in building its brand. It's more
challenging. So far, it has ridden on Smalltalk's coattails. Continuing on
this path is the smarter move.

> ESUG is about the community. Without community then it is terrible. We set
> up also a program for teachers. Now in the US there is nearly nobody
> teaching smalltalk and this is a pity.

Smalltalk Renaissance is also about the community, as I've already
explained.

Yes, getting Smalltalk into US (and Canadian) schools is vitally important.
I haven't yet determined SRP's role in this regard.