Da: Pharo-dev [mailto:pharo-dev-boun...@lists.pharo.org] Per conto di Sven
Van Caekenberghe
Inviato: lunedì 12 gennaio 2015 11:06
A: Pharo Development List
Oggetto: Re: [Pharo-dev] R: R: from 2009's The "death" of Smalltalk to
2014's But Really, You Should Learn Smalltalk

> On 12 Jan 2015, at 10:55, Lorenzo Schiavina <lore...@edor.it> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> I find your observations absolutely reasonable; anyway, my point is to
> show the difference between "object" number and "normal" (I mean
> integer and floating point you find in "normal" languages)number.
> I have not seen the problem for many years so, maybe, at present is
> not the same, but I remember how I was surprised the first time I
> realized that I have not the floating point barrier using Smalltalk!
> It was in this moment that I felt that Smalltalk "is" the language!

Yes, Lorenzo, I am so used to that, that I completely forgot, but yes the
fact that primitive types are just regular objects is really important (and
a differentiator).

What I remember now is another thing that I found so interesting: that you
can (are allowed to and even encouraged to, when placed in separate
protocols) your own methods on system classes (like numbers or string).

There are so many cool aspects ;-)

> Ciao
>
> Lorenzo

not be a need for a 32-bit Pharo. Of course, much of this is already on the
horizon.