And there is also the matter of hardware evolution.

When I was running Pharo on my 2007 imac 20'' with dual core 2.GHZ ,
Morphic was slow. And by slow I mean that I could see it was struggling to
move windows around. I could see windows flickering trying to render
themselves moving around.

But now with my 2014 imac even though the screen is double the size and the
resolution much bigger (27'' retina) , Morphic is now quite fast. The
reason is of course the fact that the CPU is a quad core at 3 Ghz thats
almost a 3x times increase in speed and it really shows.

Even when Pharo take full the huge area of 27'' Morphic is responsive and
quite fast.

8 cores are not much further down the road either. And unlike the native
GUI of MACOS , Morphic does not take advantage of GPU acceleration that can
offer speed us even 10 times compared to a modern CPU.

So I think that even if we keep performance in Pharo at same level, things
will get noticeably better through the evolution of hardware alone.

I do agree that Efficiency and especially ease of use must be the main
focus.