> It is obviously a compromise (or a continuum) between abstractions and
> performance.

I agree. With a special view in that we are in a sub domain where simple
things well designed (Smalltalk, that is) are amazingly good at supporting
complex designs.

> But there should remain a focus on efficiency (not just speed but also
> memory), it is hard to fix these things years later.

And I like the fact that efficient code and design is often a pleasure to
read and learn from :)

Now, being radical: could we get rid of pragmas ? The only reason I see to
them is that they allow extension by external packages, because we can't
have methods which belong to two protocols (*).

Thierry

(*) I tried to get rid of them in some of my stuff, where it is used in the
same way GTInspector and GTSpooter uses pragmas, and I had to stop because
of that feature. All other uses of pragmas are replaceable (and often, as
in the gt stuff, redundant).