>> Well, we need to have that discussion then, since we can't roll back: the
> slots are already there, and I guess that with the Meta links, we will have
> to do something about it.
>
> So, what would it take to improve the debugger?

Since you can add meta links to any ast node the best approach would be to
change the debugger to work at the AST level and not the bytecode level.
Right now stepOver steps over a bytecode instruction and then calls
#stepToSendOrReturn. I made an attempt to gave the debugger step over slot
writes/reads but it is not nice at all.

In a debugger at the ast level we can have actions like stepInto/Over Slot,
stepInto/Over metalink, etc

> Do we need to consider that the execution model shown in the debugger
> needs to be a bit further away from the vm execution model?

In moose we have two views for the debugger: one is the default one and the
other the bytecode view. In the bytecode view you always step over one
bytecode intruction and see the real stack with no hidden contexts.

Cheers,
Andrei