Stef, I can now see all the dependent packages for the new slice, but
I still have a strange error.  However I'm not sure if its a bug or
something unique at my end.

Can someone try merging
SLICE-Issue-15646-Cleaning-method-category-api-should-be-protocol-part-1-StephaneDucasse.1

What I see at top of stack is two calls to MCVersionMerger>>addVersion:

    MCVersionMerger>>addVersion: aVersion
        records add: (MCMergeRecord version: aVersion).
        aVersion dependencies
            do: [:ea | | dep satisfied |
                dep := ea resolve.
                satisfied := (records anySatisfy: [:r | r version = dep]).
                satisfied ifFalse: [self addVersion: dep]]  "<<< race? "
            displayingProgress: [ :ea| 'Searching dependency: ', ea
package name]
    "15646Note: variable /satisfied/ added for reporting/debugging"

One level down from where the error occurs the debugger shows...

    /aVersion/ --> a
MCVersion(SLICE-Issue-15646-Cleaning-method-category-api-should-be-protocol-part-1-StephaneDucasse.1)

    /ea/ --> a MCVersionInfo(DebuggerActions-StephaneDucasse.75)

    /dep/ --> nil

    /satisfied/  --> false

and the following which contradicts the value in /satisfied/

    (records anySatisfy: [:r | r version = dep]) --> true.

so there seems to be a race such that the ifFalse block is improperly
executed, such that the recursive call on top of stack has...

    /aVersion/-->nil

hence MNU receiver of "dependencies" is nil.

cheers -ben