On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Torsten Bergmann <asta...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe you already noticed. The latest update for Pharo 5 which is 50103 (see
> [1]).
> includes a new tool called "Catalog Browser".
>
> Where to go
> ===========
>
> You will find it under "Tools" -> "Catalog Browser" and it will display the
> configs together with the catalog metadata like project description.
>
> The code is managed with a configuration similar to what we have for
> a few other packages/projects. The tool was written by Esteban Lorenzano with
> small
> improvements like spotter integration from my side. Feel free to contribute
> more features.
>
> The repository can be found on SmalltalkHub [2].
>
> This new tool basically gives you access to all available configurations
> aggregated at [3]. You can use a small UI to search and load the configs
> (see world menu -> "Tools" -> "Catalog Browser".
>
> But you can also use Spotter to load a config.
>
> Example on how to load ScriptManager config:
>  - open Spotter (SHIFT + ENTER on Windows, ...)
>  - type in "Script" and you will find a spotter category "Catalog Projects"
> with "ScriptManager" in it
>  - just hit enter and the config is loaded

Just had a quick try.  Its nice to get descriptions, like for
"TaskIT".  However I think there should be a confirmation dialog
before actually loading a Configuration, which is a potentially
destructive/undoable action.  Its too easy that habits pressing
<enter> for other functions assert themselves and load a configuration
accidentally.   Perhaps an alternative is to open a window with more
information from the other fields of the catalog that has a button to
load the Configuration.

> Same for all others, so try with "Seaside", "MongoTalk", ...
>
> In the short/mid-term this new tool should replace the existing config
> browser as it
> gives more informations about the projects.

I don't think its a total replacement for the Configuration Browser.
The new function suits the case of searching for a configuration you
already know about, bu tmany times I like catalog browsers when I'm
not searching for something. That is, when I don't know what is there
and I'm  *browsing*.  Indeed, if you are searching for a particular
configuration then you probably already know what it is and the
additional info is then not needed.
cheers -ben