On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Christophe Demarey
<christophe.dema...@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created a job to automatically generate a report of the Pharo image
> dependencies as well as current bootstrap dependencies.
> You can find them here:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-5.0-DependencyAnalysis/Dependencies_HTML_Report/dependency-report.html
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-5.0-DependencyAnalysis/Dependencies_HTML_Report/bootstrap-dependency-report.html
>

> There are a lot (too many) dependencies but you can focus on some of them
> with the search field.
> Dependencies inside orange boxes are dependencies that are there but that we
> ignore (for example, an example method adds an extra-dependency). It should
> be fixed later but is not a problem for now. Ignored dependencies are
> declared in the package manifest in #ignoredDependencies.
> Dependencies inside red boxes are dependencies we want to remove for the
> bootstrap. For now, they are listed in the bootstrap dependency report.
>
> People that are willing to help to have a more modular Pharo could first
> take a look at the bootstrap dependency report and check dependencies that
> we should cut.
> Once we know, we can open issues on fogbugz in the 'bootstrap category' and
> update manifests accordingly.
> To investigate more deeply dependencies, you can use the DependencyAnalyzer
> (in the Pharo Catalog) to actually check dependencies (inheritance,
> reference, extension, traits, message send).

I tried the Dependency Analyzer.  First a minor point, it wasn't
obvious how to invoke it.  I expected to see "Dependency Analyzer" in
the tools but its not there.  I think I correctly guessed it was
"Package Dependencies Browser", but it would be better to match the
catalog name.

The sample dependency I looked at from bootstrap-dependency-report.html
was Collections-Streams --> Tool-Transcript
which seems to be due to only single method "Generator class>>examplePrimes".
So should this be coloured orange by marking it in #ignoredDependencies ?

Also, even though Collections-Streams --> Transcript is not
highlighted red nor orange, this dependency also seems due only to
"Generator class>>examplePrimes"

cheers -ben