Hi Denis,

> Few years ago I try another approach which was work in my test.
>
> Instead of code rewriting to make loop iteration announcing steps you can
> track periodically (in background) process which progress you want to
> report. You can scan full call stack of it suspended context for loops and
> analyse it progress variables (index and bounds). You can provide required
> meta information to find exact places you want (like you doing with your
> rewriting approach).

Do you have that code somewhere? I think it would be interesting to have a
general framework for that (since this is a trace/profiling by sampling
approach).

> Plus of my approach that it is not touch runnable code which not required
> progress reporting. And it should not influence performance of target
> process.

Wishfull thinking:

you have a tradeoff when you do that, you interrupt running code and so
changes timings and synchronisations, your scan takes time, and things
below your sampling frequency are not visible.

That being said, and if you take those factors into account, then your
approach is sound. Just don't say it is a miracle solution.

Regards,

Thierry