I'd like to add that this is a real challenge to existing players in BigData, all of who offer solutions in this exact space. Whoever controls it's specification, controls it's cloud market.

My back of the envelope proposal (my apologies for my abrasiveness with this approach) is such:

We develop a dynamic cloud meta & control solution: replicated, eventually consistent and so on. We define the serialization, interfaces and package identification to this meta as open-source standards.

With interfaces I think Avro.

With serialization I think ASN1DER encoding, plus non-fixed dynamic structure extension.

With package identification I think Gradle. Do we have a groovy compiler?

I thought I would round out my thinking as I believe this to be an important opportunity. Given that the new internet is going to be governed by always running, maximally interactive execution sites, it will naturally move to Smalltalk, so I do not think there is anything for anyone to be concerned about.

Patience and not reacting emotionally to misinformation in the marketplace will show true colors. Business is warfare. We have the advantage.

peace,
robert