On 1/29/16 2:45 PM, David Allouche wrote:
Thanks Dale for all the explanations.

How Monticello and version control relate in the big picture is starting to
make sense for me.

Now, I better understand why filetree ended up uses a file-per-method format,
even though that is relatively hostile to git user interfaces optimised for
other languages. There is really a need for a file-per-class exchange format,
because that would works a lot better with the existing VCS ecosystem.
I agree 100%, but as I've mentioned in another post, I think that switching to a file-per-class exchange format needs to be a cross-dialect effort. A format that accommodates the diversity of Smalltalk class definition and even method metadata while still being readable is a bit of a challenge - solvable, but challenging....

Personally, I have other fish to fry, but I would be willing to participate in such an effort if someone else is willing to lead the charge:)

Dale