Le 03/02/2016 23:58, Dale Henrichs a écrit :

On 02/03/2016 02:34 PM, Thierry Goubier wrote:
Le 03/02/2016 22:51, Eliot Miranda a écrit :

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:54 AM, Thierry Goubier
<thierry.goub...@gmail.com <mailto:thierry.goub...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi Eliot,

    Le 02/02/2016 21:54, Eliot Miranda a écrit :

        No it's /not/ the end of the story.  The essential part of the
        story is
        how Monticello remains compatible and interoperable between
        dialects.  I
        haven't seen you account for how you maintain that
        compatibility.  As
        far as I can tell, you propose replacing the Monticello metadata
        with
        that from git.  How do I, as a Squeak user with Monticello, ever
        get to
        look at your package again?  As I understand it, moving the
metadata
        from Monticello commit time to git means that the metadata is
in a
        format that git determines, not Monticello.

    Yes. See below why.

        So I don't understand how on the one hand you can say "The
        Monticello
        metadata in a git repository is redundant and leads to
unnecessary
        commit conflicts -- end of story ....", which implies you
want to
        eliminate the Monticello metadata, and on the other hand you say
        you're
        keeping the Monticello metadata.  I'm hopelessly confused.  How
        does the
        Monticello metadata get reconstituted if it's been thrown away?

        What happens to the metadata in the following workflow?

        load package P from Monticello repository R into an image
        change P, commit via git to local git repository G
        load P from G into an image
        store P to R via Monticello

    It's not a scenario I've specifically worked on, but all the tech is
    implemented / implementable to do that perfectly.

    The only thing that is problematic there is that the only safe
    history is the one generated from git... there are so many MC
    packages with broken history that, on mcz packages, you have to
    admit that it's not safe to base things on their history.

I'm sorry but I don't accept that.  In the Squeak trunk we have history
in our mczs that is correct.  Certainly in VMMaker.oscog I have history
that goes back a long time.  If bugs have broken history then efforts
should be made to repair that history.  But you can't just write off
Monticello history like that.

I don't. You presuppose.

I write tools that work with Monticello repositories, not just yours.
I have to do with what is given to me. On a general level, as a mcz
user, I'll just have to consider that you are as susceptible to be
trusted as with any other mcz producer. This means not much...

... And this is the reason why I am inclined to favor option 3, which
records the package version history as it existed at the point it was
copied into a git repo. When copied back out from the git universe,
create a version history that starts with the original version history
and generates a history of the package in git ....

Which is not very difficult to do given how GitFileTree is implemented. And I agree this may well be the way to go. But ...

Correct or not, the Monticello version history should be preserved ....

I wonder about that. The property of the Monticello version history is that it has value when you can access the versions listed in it. If you mix repositories like that, unless you maintain a link to the previous mcz repository, pre-git versions can't be accessed. So, most of the time, what we do with a project moved under git is to clone the previous repository, not take just the current head.

(you'll notice, by the way, that vcs usually work that way when moving from, say, CVS to git - you move the entire repository, not just the latest version).

In short, the question would really be:
1- should we invest into making that integration of past history a selling point (but I foresee issues down the road; I've only described one so far, and I have seen others)
or
2- into making a better "clone" of a package history, timestamps and everything when moving a complete repository to git?

Honestly, I'd consider 1- to be the easiest to implement. 2- there is already some code floating around.

Thierry